Author Question: The nurse is providing discharge education to her patient with diabetes regarding foot care. Which ... (Read 20 times)

CBme

The nurse is providing discharge education to her patient with diabetes regarding foot care. Which of the following statements by the patient indicates a need for further education?

a. I can go barefoot outside only in the summer.
  b. I should wear good fitting shoes.
  c. I cannot soak my feet in a hot tub.
  d. I can use lotion on my feet.

Question 2

The nurse is assessing the patient's ability to hear. Which is the correct procedure for the doing this?

a. The nurse whispers to the patient while standing on each side of the patient.
  b. The nurse speaks in a normal voice while standing on each side of the patient.
  c. The nurse speaks in a normal voice while standing directly in front of the patient.
  d. The nurse speaks in a normal voice while standing slightly behind the patient.

Alyson.hiatt@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Diabetic patients should not go barefoot outside even in the summer as they often have neuropathy, which decreases the patient's ability to discern touch, especially in the lower extremities. This can lead to foot injuries that can become infected and are slow to heal. The patient should wear good fitting shoes, should avoid extreme temperatures, and can use lotion to keep their skin moist to avoid overly dry skin.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Hearing ability can be determined by observing the patient's conversation and responses and by talking with the patient in a normal conversational tone while standing slightly behind the patient. If the patient does not respond appropriately, a hearing impairment may exist. Standing in front of the patient allows the patient to read your lips and will not detect a hearing loss. A whispered voice will also give a false reading.