This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse wishes to incorporate an assessment of patient sexuality into all patient encounters but is ... (Read 53 times)

dbose

A nurse wishes to incorporate an assessment of patient sexuality into all patient encounters but is concerned about appearing inappropriate. What action by the nurse is best?

a. State, I always ask my patients permission to discuss sexuality. Is this alright?
  b. Wait for the patient to bring the subject of sexuality up to the nurse.
  c. Give the patient written material on sexuality, then ask if he/she has questions.
  d. Tell patients that if they have any sexual concerns, you would be happy to discuss them.

Question 2

A patient is recovering from colostomy surgery and states, I guess I'll never be able to have sex again...who would want me? What nursing diagnosis is most important for this patient?

a. Sexual dysfunction
  b. Ineffective sexuality pattern
  c. Knowledge deficit
  d. Ineffective coping

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

stillxalice

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A matter-of-fact, organized approach to sexuality will decrease anxiety in both patient and nurse. Stating that all patients are asked about this topic makes it appear to be a normal part of the assessment. The other options put the responsibility for discussing sexuality on the patient, when the nurse should be directing the process.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Ineffective sexuality patterns refer to a patient who expresses concern about his/her own sexuality. This patient is concerned about the effect of this surgery on his/her attractiveness and desirability. Sexual dysfunction relates more to the physical problems. The patient may have a knowledge deficit or ineffective coping, but these are not apparent from the question.

dbose

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

In 2012, nearly 24 milliion Americans, aged 12 and older, had abused an illicit drug, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library