Author Question: A patient is receiving an experimental drug for leukemia. The nurse is worried that the drug may ... (Read 19 times)

kshipps

A patient is receiving an experimental drug for leukemia. The nurse is worried that the drug may cause a reduction in platelets leading to intestinal tract bleeding. Which type of nursing diagnosis should the nurse use to address this concern?

a. Risk
  b. Actual
  c. Health-promotion
  d. Medical diagnosis

Question 2

North American Nursing Diagnosis Association International (NANDA-I) is an organization focusing on revising nursing diagnosis taxonomy and evaluates nursing research to validate the diagnostic labels.

The NANDA-I taxonomy and new nursing diagnoses are published every:
  a.
  2 years.
  b.
  3 years.
  c.
  4 years.
  d.
  5 years.

Liddy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The three types of nursing diagnostic statements are actual, risk, and health promotion. Determining which type is needed for each patient can be challenging. Risk (potential) nursing diagnoses apply when there is an increased potential or vulnerability for a patient to develop a problem or complication. Actual nursing diagnoses identify existing problems or concerns of a patient. Health-promotion nursing diagnoses are used in situations in which patients express interest in improving their health status through a positive change in behavior. Although most nursing diagnoses are used for individual patients, nursing diagnosis taxonomy can be applied to families, groups of individuals, and communities. Medical diagnoses identify and label medical (physical and psychological) illnesses.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The NANDA-I taxonomy is dynamic. Every 2 years, NANDA-I members meet to focus on revision of the taxonomy and evaluation of nursing research conducted to validate current and evolving nursing diagnoses.