This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient with lung disease. The patient tells the nurse that the most ... (Read 50 times)

torybrooks

The nurse is caring for a patient with lung disease. The patient tells the nurse that the most important thing to do during the shift is to walk down to the nurses' station and back without having shortness of breath.

The patient's request is an example of which nursing theory?
  a.
  Leininger's Cultural Care Theory
  b.
  Travelbee's Human-to-Human Relationship Model
  c.
  Swanson's Theory of Caring
  d.
  Watson's Human Science and Human Care Theory

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient scheduled for heart surgery. Which statement made by the patient requires further discussion?

a. My friend died on the operating table several months ago.
  b. The surgeon has a great reputation in the community.
  c. I believe that this surgery is going to make me better.
  d. Yesterday I asked my pastor to visit me after the procedure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tdewitt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Swanson's Theory of Caring is composed of five interrelated caring processes: having faith in the ability of others to have meaningful lives; striving to understand the meaning of events in other's lives; being emotionally present to the other person; doing for others what they would do if possible, and facilitating or enabling the capacity of others to help themselves and their families. The patient's goal to walk without breathing problems is an example of the enabling process. Leininger's Cultural Care Theory centers on cultural practices that influence patient care. Travelbee's model describes steps toward compassionate and empathetic nursing care. Watson's theory describes holistic care and focuses on carative factors such as instilling faith and hope, promoting and accepting positive and negative feelings, and developing a helping-trust relationship.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Personal beliefs are one of the most important factors in determining how a person responds to a health problem and its treatment. The patient has a concern about the possibility of dying during the surgery based on prior experiences. The nurse should further explore the concern and determine the patient's true meaning of the statement. Belief in the surgeon's reputation, the success of the surgery, and the patient's ability to visit after the surgery indicates a positive belief.

torybrooks

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

robbielu01

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library