This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with terminal cancer says to the nurse, I just don't know if I should allow CPR in the ... (Read 10 times)

09madisonrousseau09

A patient with terminal cancer says to the nurse, I just don't know if I should allow CPR in the event I quit breathing. What do you think? Which statement by the nurse would be most beneficial to the patient?

a. If it were me, I would want to live no matter what.
  b. Don't worry. You have plenty of time to decide that later on.
  c. It's totally up to you. Have you discussed this with your family?
  d. Let's talk about what CPR means to you.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who is under arrest for murder. She is attempting to perform her duties while, at the same time, feeling a sense of repugnance toward the patient. The nurse is undergoing:

a. value clarification
  b. value conflict
  c. first-order beliefs
  d. higher-order beliefs

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fffftttt

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The use of the value clarification process is helpful when assisting patients in making health care decisions regarding end-of-life care. Giving advice or telling patients what to do is unethical and not recommended. Ignoring a patient concern or changing the subject is inappropriate. Patients should be given factual information in order for them to make their own decisions.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
A values conflict occurs when a person's values are inconsistent with his or her behaviors or when the person's values are not consistent with the choices that are available. Providing care for a convicted murderer may elicit troubling feelings for a nurse, resulting in a values conflict between the nurse's commitment to care for all people and a personal repugnance for the act of murder. First-order beliefs serve as the foundation or the basis of an individual's belief system. Higher-order beliefs are ideas derived from a person's first-order beliefs, inductive, or syllogistic reasoning.

09madisonrousseau09

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

ebonylittles

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library