Author Question: A patient who is receiving intravenous (IV) chemotherapy asks why you are wearing a mask, gloves, ... (Read 29 times)

nelaaney

A patient who is receiving intravenous (IV) chemotherapy asks why you are wearing a mask, gloves, and gown when giving the drugs. What is your best response?

a. These drugs will reduce your immune response, and with these coverings I am protecting you from getting an infection from me.
  b. Because your immunity is reduced by this therapy, I am preventing the spread of infection from you to me or any other patient here.
  c. The drugs are powerful and I handle them every day. The clothing protects me from accidentally absorbing these strong drugs.
  d. The hospital policy is for any person giving these drugs to wear gowns, gloves, and masks to prevent other people from getting cancer.

Question 2

When it is time for a patient's third round of chemotherapy for colon cancer, the patient's white blood cell count is low and the treatment is delayed. The patient is upset at this delay. What is your best response?

a. This extra time will give your hair a chance to grow back in.
  b. This is for the best. You are too weak to receive chemotherapy now.
  c. I will call the physician and request a prescription for something to calm your nerves.
  d. Try not to worry. Your counts will probably be high enough next week and the chemotherapy will work just as well then.

tkempin

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D