This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse has provided education regarding type 2 diabetes to a newly diagnosed client. Which ... (Read 57 times)

amal

A nurse has provided education regarding type 2 diabetes to a newly diagnosed client. Which statements would the nurse interpret as indicating need for additional education?

1. Well, at least the medications I will be on will help me lose weight.
  2. I can take an oral medication and will never have to inject myself.
  3. I can increase my body's ability to use the insulin I make by exercising regularly.
  4. I have several lifestyle changes to make.
  5. I don't run the risk of blindness and kidney disease like type 1 diabetics.

Question 2

The mother of a 4-year-old boy states, I can't believe my son has type 1 diabetes. We eat well and I was so careful during the pregnancy. What could have caused this? How should the nurse respond?

1. There must have been something you were exposed to during your pregnancy that caused it.
  2. Are there others in your family that have type 1 diabetes?
  3. He must have been allowed to eat too much sugar.
  4. We are not certain what causes type 1 diabetes.
  5. It is thought to be a combination of factors.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

durant1234

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,5
Rationale 1: Some of the medications used for type 2 diabetes cause weight gain.
Rationale 2: As type 2 diabetes progresses, the cells that produce insulin may fail, causing the need for insulin. Some medications especially designed to treat type 2 diabetes are injected.
Rationale 3: The activity of insulin receptors can be increased by physical exercise.
Rationale 4: Lifestyle changes can help the type 2 diabetic avoid complications.
Rationale 5: If type 2 diabetes is poorly managed these complications can occur.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,4,5
Rationale 1: There is no known factor that would cause type 1 diabetes if the mother was exposed.
Rationale 2: There is a genetic factor associated with type 1 diabetes.
Rationale 3: This is not a therapeutic statement and supports the urban myth that diabetes is caused by sugar ingestion.
Rationale 4: The specific factors that cause Type 1 diabetes are still undiscovered.
Rationale 5: It is thought that type 1 diabetes is caused by a number of interrelated factors.

amal

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

JaynaD87

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Pope Sylvester II tried to introduce Arabic numbers into Europe between the years 999 and 1003, but their use did not catch on for a few more centuries, and Roman numerals continued to be the primary number system.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library