This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client has type 1 diabetes and receives insulin. He asks the nurse why he can't just take pills ... (Read 29 times)

ETearle

The client has type 1 diabetes and receives insulin. He asks the nurse why he can't just take pills instead. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. I know it is tough, but you will get used to the shots soon.
  2. Have you talked to your doctor about taking pills instead?
  3. Insulin can't be in a pill because it is destroyed in stomach acid.
  4. Insulin must be injected because it needs to work quickly.

Question 2

The nurse has finished teaching a client with diabetes mellitus how to administer insulin. The nurse evaluates that learning has occurred when the client makes which statement?

1. I should only use a calibrated insulin syringe for the injections.
  2. I should check my blood sugar immediately prior to the administration.
  3. I should use the abdominal area only for insulin injections.
  4. I should provide direct pressure over the site following the injection.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ally

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Telling the client he will get used to the shots does not answer his question and is condescending.
Rationale 2: The nurse should answer the client's question, not refer him back to the physician.
Rationale 3: Insulin must be injected because it is destroyed in stomach acid if taken orally.
Rationale 4: Insulin must be injected because it is destroyed in stomach acid if taken orally; the onset of action is not the issue here.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: To ensure the correct insulin dose, a calibrated insulin syringe must be used.
Rationale 2: There is no need to check blood glucose immediately prior to the injection.
Rationale 3: Insulin injections should also be rotated to the arm and thigh, not just the abdominal area.
Rationale 4: There is no need to apply direct pressure over the site following an insulin injection.

ETearle

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

People often find it difficult to accept the idea that bacteria can be beneficial and improve health. Lactic acid bacteria are good, and when eaten, these bacteria improve health and increase longevity. These bacteria included in foods such as yogurt.

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library