Author Question: The client has scalp ringworm and is being treated with econazole (Spectazole). What are the best ... (Read 11 times)

BrownTown3

The client has scalp ringworm and is being treated with econazole (Spectazole). What are the best discharge instructions by the nurse?

1. Weigh yourself daily while using this medication.
  2. Avoid meat and high protein foods with this medication.
  3. Do not share any towels with family members.
  4. Wash your head at least three times a day for 2 weeks.

Question 2

The nurse does medication education for the client with histoplasmosis who receives ketoconazole (Nizoral). The nurse evaluates that learning has occurred when the client makes which statement?

1. I cannot take this medication longer than 10 days.
  2. I could develop resistance to this medication if I take it too often.
  3. I could develop nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain with this medication.
  4. I can't take my diabetes medicine with this drug.

sylvia

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: There is no indication of need for daily weights with use of superficial antifungals.
Rationale 2: There is no reason to restrict protein.
Rationale 3: Ringworm can be spread by contact with articles such as towels that are used by the affected person.
Rationale 4: Washing the head three times a day is excessive and unnecessary while taking econazole (Spectazole).

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Ketoconazole (Nizoral) is often used for longer than 10 days.
Rationale 2: Organisms, not people, develop resistance; this is not a likely occurrence anyway.
Rationale 3: Nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain are common side effects of ketoconazole (Nizoral).
Rationale 4: The azole antifungals may affect glycemic control in diabetic clients. There is no indication to stop medications.