This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A new mother expresses concern about immunizing her infant saying, I am breastfeeding, so I know ... (Read 35 times)

penza

A new mother expresses concern about immunizing her infant saying, I am breastfeeding, so I know that will pass my immunity to my baby. I don't see why anything else is necessary. How should the nurse respond?

1. You are correct that your baby will receive some passive immunity from you.
  2. That immunity is called adapted immunity and it only lasts for a few days.
  3. There are some diseases for which immunity is not passed from mother to child.
  4. Your baby will need the extra protection provided by standard immunizations.
  5. Vaccines are not indicated until you stop breastfeeding.

Question 2

A new parent asks the nurse when her infant will receive the hepatitis A vaccine. How should the nurse reply?

1. We will give the first dose before you take your baby home from the newborn nursery.
  2. It will be included in the series of immunizations given at 2 months, 4 months, and 6 months.
  3. Your child will receive the first dose at 12 months.
  4. Not until school age.
  5. About 6 to 12 months after the initial vaccine, a booster will be given.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jody Vaughn

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,3,4
Rationale 1: The mother is correct that passive immunity to some diseases is provided through the placenta and through breast milk.
Rationale 2: This is called passive immunity and it lasts longer than a few days.
Rationale 3: The passive immunity passed from mother to child does not protect the child from all the diseases that acquired immunity does.
Rationale 4: In order to be protected from many diseases the child will need acquired immunity from vaccine.
Rationale 5: The vaccine schedule for a breastfed infant is the same as for an infant who is not breastfed.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3,5
Rationale 1: Hepatitis A is not given to a newborn.
Rationale 2: Hepatitis A is not given with this series.
Rationale 3: The first dose of Hepatitis vaccine is administered when the child is 12 months old.
Rationale 4: The hepatitis A vaccine is administered to children at an earlier date than school age.
Rationale 5: A booster immunization is given 612 months after the initial immunization.

penza

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

miss.ashley

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library