This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client is receiving chemotherapy for cancer. The physician has prescribed oprelvekin (Neumega). ... (Read 29 times)

09madisonrousseau09

The client is receiving chemotherapy for cancer. The physician has prescribed oprelvekin (Neumega). The nurse has completed medication education and evaluates it as effective when the client makes which statement?

1. This medication will help my chemotherapy work better.
  2. This medication will help increase my platelet count.
  3. This medication will help me regain the weight I have lost.
  4. This medication will help increase my red blood cell count.

Question 2

The client calls the nurse and is very frantic. I think something is wrong My stools are black and they have never been this color before The client is receiving ferrous sulfate (Feosol). What is the best response by the nurse?

1. This is an expected side effect of ferrous sulfate (Feosol); it is okay.
  2. This sounds serious; you may have started bleeding again.
  3. Do you have hemorrhoids? That could be the problem.
  4. I will speak with your doctor and call you right back.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

anoriega3

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: Oprelvekin (Neumega) does not enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
Rationale 2: Oprelvekin (Neumega) is used to stimulate the production of platelets in clients who are at risk for thrombocytopenia caused by cancer chemotherapy.
Rationale 3: Oprelvekin (Neumega) does not promote weight gain.
Rationale 4: Oprelvekin (Neumega) does not increase red blood cell count.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Ferrous sulfate (Feosol) will turn stools a harmless, dark green or black color; this is an expected side effect of the medication.
Rationale 2: To tell a client that this sounds serious is non-therapeutic, as the nurse should know that black stools are an expected side effect of the drug.
Rationale 3: Hemorrhoids are unlikely the problem, they would cause bright red color in the stool.
Rationale 4: There is no need to call the physician; this is an expected side effect of the drug.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Your heart beats over 36 million times a year.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library