This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client is receiving ferrous sulfate (Feosol) for the treatment of anemia. The nurse has taught ... (Read 31 times)

mikaylakyoung

The client is receiving ferrous sulfate (Feosol) for the treatment of anemia. The nurse has taught the client about this drug and about anemia. The nurse evaluates that learning has occurred when the client makes which statement?

1. My anemia was caused by blood loss from my ulcer, but there are other causes too.
  2. My anemia was caused by drinking too many carbonated beverages with caffeine.
  3. There are many causes for anemia; mine was caused by heart failure and fluid overload.
  4. I think my anemia occurred when I started that vegetarian diet.

Question 2

The client had stomach cancer and a surgical removal of his stomach several years ago. The physician prescribed cyanocobalamin (Crystamine). The client stopped this drug several months ago. What will the nurse most likely assess in this client?

1. Memory loss, numbness in the limbs, and depression
  2. A gradual decrease in red blood cell counts
  3. Jaundice, and tarry stools
  4. Low hemoglobin and hematocrit counts

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nekcihc358

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: The three categories of blood loss are hemorrhage, increased erythrocyte destruction, and impaired erythrocyte production.
Rationale 2: Anemia is not caused by too much caffeine.
Rationale 3: Anemia is not caused by heart failure or fluid overload.
Rationale 4: A well-balanced vegetarian diet will not result in anemia.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: The most common cause of vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anemia) is absence of intrinsic factor, a protein secreted by stomach cells. This protein is required for vitamin B12 to be absorbed from the intestine. Symptoms of pernicious anemia involve the nervous system, and include memory loss, confusion, tingling or numbness in the limbs, and mood disturbances.
Rationale 2: A decrease in red blood cells does not occur with pernicious anemia.
Rationale 3: Jaundice and tarry stools do not occur with pernicious anemia.
Rationale 4: Low hemoglobin and hematocrit counts do not occur with pernicious anemia. A decrease in red blood cells does not occur with pernicious anemia.

Did you know?

In 1844, Charles Goodyear obtained the first patent for a rubber condom.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library