This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient with type 1 diabetes mellitus is receiving propranolol (Inderal). What is the best ... (Read 20 times)

clippers!

The patient with type 1 diabetes mellitus is receiving propranolol (Inderal). What is the best outcome for this patient?

1. The patient will maintain blood glucose within normal limits.
  2. The patient will decrease the required number of calories/day.
  3. The patient will maintain adequate peripheral circulation.
  4. The patient will perform activities of daily living.

Question 2

The nurse completes medication education with a patient who receives propranolol (Inderal). The nurse evaluates the education as effective when the patient makes which statement?

1. I must take my pulse every day and call my doctor if it is higher than 100.
  2. I must call my doctor if my anxiety increases and I start worrying again.
  3. I must take my pulse every day and call my doctor if it is less than 60.
  4. I must call my doctor if I lose more than three pounds a week.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

izzat

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Propranolol (Inderal) should be used cautiously in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus due to its hypoglycemic effects. Peripheral circulation should not be affected by propranolol (Inderal). Activities of daily living are important for any patient, but should not be affected by propranolol (Inderal). Propranolol (Inderal) should not affect the patient's appetite; the patient should not decrease calories.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: Beta blockers decrease contractions of the myocardium and decrease the speed of conduction through the atrioventricular (AV) node. This can result in a significant decrease in heart rate, and the patient should let the physician know if his heart rate falls below 60. Beta blockers decrease, not increase, the heart rate. Beta blockers predispose the patient to weight gain, not weight loss. Beta blockers actually decrease, not increase, anxiety.

clippers!

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ecabral0

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library