This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient says to the nurse, My neighbor said my antidysrhythmic drug can actually cause me to ... (Read 100 times)

renzo156

The patient says to the nurse, My neighbor said my antidysrhythmic drug can actually cause me to have irregular heartbeats. How can this be? What is the nurse's best answer?

1. Your medication blocks the flow of the electrolytes in your heart, and this can cause irregular beats.
  2. It is better to discuss you medication concerns with a professional, not a lay person like your neighbor.
  3. You must take two baby aspirins every other day to avoid the irregular heartbeats.
  4. Your medication is not the problem; it is when you mix it with over-the-counter (OTC) drugs that you develop irregular beats.

Question 2

The patient asks the nurse, My doctor said I need cardioversion for my dysrhythmia. Why can't I just take medication? What is the nurse's best response?

1. Antidysrhythmic medications have many side effects; cardioversion is considered safer.
  2. Special diets are necessary with antidysrhythmic medications and they are hard to follow.
  3. Antidysrhythmic medications don't really work very well for most dysrhythmias.
  4. There is a high risk of seizures when you take antidysrhythmic medications.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

diesoon

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Most antidysrhythmic drugs act by interfering with myocardial action potentials, blocking the action of sodium, potassium, and calcium channels and causing some irregular beats. Mixing the medication with over-the-counter (OTC) medications might result in irregular beats, but this is not the best answer. Anticoagulant medication is sometimes indicated, but it does not require taking two doses of baby aspirin. Although it is best to discuss medications with a professional, this response does not answer the patient's question.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Antidysrhythmic medications can cause serious side effects and are normally reserved for patients with overt symptoms, or for patients whose condition cannot be controlled by other means, such as cardioversion. Medications are effective for dysrhythmias; however they have many side effects. There is no indication for a special diet when a patient is taking an antidysrhythmic drug. Antidysrhythmic drugs do not commonly cause seizures.

renzo156

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

hollysheppard095

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library