This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient receives amlodipine (Norvasc) for treatment of angina. What is a primary assessment for ... (Read 30 times)

javeds

The patient receives amlodipine (Norvasc) for treatment of angina. What is a primary assessment for the nurse?

1. A sudden weight loss of 5 pounds or more
  2. Hypokalemia and hypernatremia
  3. Marked increase in international normalized ration (INR) levels
  4. A sudden weight gain of 2 pounds or more

Question 2

The nurse has completed medication education with the patient who is receiving nitroglycerine (Nitrostat) as therapy for angina. The nurse determines that teaching is effective when the patient makes which statement?

1. I can keep taking tablets until the pain is gone, but I should not use more than five tablets.
  2. I can take one tablet every 5 minutes, but not more than three tablets in 15 minutes.
  3. I should call my doctor if my pain is not gone after 15 minutes of taking these tablets.
  4. I can take three tablets, one every 10 minutes, but not more than three tablets in 30 minutes.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

CourtneyCNorton

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Calcium channel blockers may worsen heart failure. Assess for signs of fluid retention by obtaining daily weights. A sudden increase in weight of 2 pounds or more may indicate fluid retention. Calcium channel blockers do not affect the international normalized ration (INR) level. Calcium channel blockers can result in fluid retention, not fluid loss. Calcium channel blockers do not affect serum levels of potassium or sodium.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Patients must be instructed to take one nitroglycerine (Nitrostat) tablet (under the tongue) every 5 minutes until pain is relieved, or up to three doses. Nitroglycerine (Nitrostat) tablets should be taken every 5 minutes, not every 10 minutes. Patients should follow the time frame of taking a nitroglycerine (Nitrostat) tablet every 5 minutes and not exceed three tablets. Calling the physician is appropriate, but the patient must still know the protocol for taking nitroglycerine (Nitrostat) tablets.

javeds

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library