This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient takes insulin for diabetes mellitus. The physician orders metoprolol (Lopressor) for ... (Read 62 times)

stephzh

The patient takes insulin for diabetes mellitus. The physician orders metoprolol (Lopressor) for hypertension. After medication teaching, the nurse determines that learning has occurred when the patient makes which statement?

1. I might not need to check my blood sugars as often with metoprolol (Lopressor).
  2. I might be able to change from insulin to a pill with metoprolol (Lopressor).
  3. I might need less insulin when I take metoprolol (Lopressor).
  4. I might need more insulin when I take metoprolol (Lopressor).

Question 2

The patient receives furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin) together. Which laboratory findings will the nurse assess as increasing the patient's risk for digoxin (Lanoxin) toxicity?

1. Hyponatremia and hyperkalemia
  2. Hypermagnesemia and hyponatremia
  3. Hypercalcemia and hyperkalemia
  4. Hypokalemia and hypocalcemia

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

steff9894

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: Metoprolol (Lopressor) may enhance the hypoglycemic effects of insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents, so the patient might require less insulin. Metoprolol (Lopressor) may enhance the hypoglycemic effects of insulin and oral hypoglycemic agents, so the patient might require less, not more, insulin. Metoprolol (Lopressor) will not change a diabetic patient's need for insulin; the patient might just require less insulin. The patient will most likely need more frequent blood glucose assessments, as metoprolol (Lopressor) may enhance the hypoglycemic effects of insulin.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Hypokalemia and hypocalcemia can result from an interaction with furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin), so it will increase a patient's risk for digoxin (Lanoxin) toxicity. Hypercalcemia and hyperkalemia do not result from an interaction with furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin), so it will not increase the patient's risk for digoxin (Lanoxin) toxicity. Hypermagnesemia and hyponatremia do not result from an interaction with furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin), so it will not increase the patient's risk for digoxin (Lanoxin) toxicity. Hyponatremia and hyperkalemia do not result from an interaction with furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin), so it will not increase the patient's risk for digoxin (Lanoxin) toxicity.

stephzh

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

A seasonal flu vaccine is the best way to reduce the chances you will get seasonal influenza and spread it to others.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library