This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is taking the initial history of a patient admitted to the hospital for hypertension. The ... (Read 50 times)

plus1

The nurse is taking the initial history of a patient admitted to the hospital for hypertension. The physician has ordered a beta-adrenergic blocker. Which statement by the patient does the nurse recognize as most significant?

1. I don't handle stress well; I have a lot of diarrhea.
  2. When I have a migraine headache, I need to have the room darkened.
  3. My father died of a heart attack when he was 48-years-old.
  4. I have always had problems with my asthma.

Question 2

The patient comes to the emergency department with a blood pressure of 200/120 mmHg. The physician orders hydralazine (Apresoline) IV. What will the nurse's priority assessment include?

1. Hypotension and bradycardia
  2. Hypotension and hyperthermia
  3. Hypotension and tachycardia
  4. Hypotension and tachypnea

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vickybb89

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: With increased doses, beta-adrenergic blockers can slow the heart rate and cause bronchoconstriction . They should be used with caution in patients with asthma. Beta-adrenergic blockers do not affect migraine headaches. Having a father who died of a heart attack when he was young is significant, but has no correlation to this patient and use of beta-adrenergic blockers. There is no correlation between increased stress, diarrhea, and beta-adrenergic blockers.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: Direct vasodilators produce reflex tachycardia, a compensatory response to the sudden decrease in blood pressure caused by the drug. Direct vasodilators produce hypotension and tachycardia, not bradycardia. Direct vasodilators do not affect body temperature. Direct vasodilators do not affect respiratory rate.

plus1

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

tranoy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library