This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A seasoned nurse is reviewing the different classifications of medications that are used to decrease ... (Read 26 times)

oliviahorn72

A seasoned nurse is reviewing the different classifications of medications that are used to decrease blood cholesterol levels with a new nurse on a medical-surgical unit.

The seasoned nurse knows the new nurse has comprehended the information when she cites these medications as fibric acid agents.
  1. Atromid-S
  2. Zetia
  3. Lopid
  4. Colestid
  5. Zocor

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a patient regarding therapeutic lifestyle changes that can be implemented to control cholesterol levels in the blood. The nurse knows the patient has understood the teaching when the patient states,

1. I will maintain an optimal weight.
  2. I will implement a medically supervised exercise plan.
  3. I will increase saturated fat in my diet.
  4. I will increase insoluble fiber in my diet.
  5. I will eliminate tobacco use.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mohan

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,3
Rationale 1: Atromid-S is a fibric acid agent used to decrease blood cholesterol levels.
Rationale 2: Zetia is an unclassified agent used to decrease blood cholesterol levels.
Rationale 3: Lopid is a fibric acid agent used to decrease blood cholesterol levels.
Rationale 4: Colestid is a Bile Acid Sequestrant used to decrease blood cholesterol levels.
Rationale 5: Zocor is an HMG-CoA Reductase medication used to decrease blood cholesterol levels.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,5
Rationale 1: Maintaining an optimal weight is a nonpharmcological therapeutic lifestyle change that can control cholesterol levels in the blood.
Rationale 2: A medically supervised exercise plan is a nonpharmacological therapeutic lifestyle change that can control cholesterol levels in the blood.
Rationale 3: This statement indicates that the patient requires further education, as the patient should decrease dietary saturated fats and cholesterol in the diet.
Rationale 4: It is recommended to increase soluble fiber, not insoluble fiber, in the diet. The examples included are soluble fiber.
Rationale 5: Eliminating tobacco use is a nonpharmacological therapeutic lifestyle change that can decrease cholesterol levels in the blood.

oliviahorn72

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

cpetit11

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Women are two-thirds more likely than men to develop irritable bowel syndrome. This may be attributable to hormonal changes related to their menstrual cycles.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library