This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is preparing care for a patient diagnosed with substance abuse of a Schedule I drug. Which ... (Read 71 times)

javeds

The nurse is preparing care for a patient diagnosed with substance abuse of a Schedule I drug. Which drugs are Schedule I drugs?

1. Heroin
  2. Marijuana
  3. LSD
  4. Cocaine
  5. Diazepam (Valium)

Question 2

A patient is admitted with complications of long-term abuse of anabolic steroids. Which of the following patient histories should not surprise the nurse?

1. A 23-year-old personal trainer
  2. A 17-year-old senior high school baseball player
  3. A 35-year-old weightlifter
  4. A 32-year-old professional football player
  5. A 21-year-old downhill skier preparing for the Olympics

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

prumorgan

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Heroin is a Schedule I drug.
Rationale 2: Marijuana is a Schedule I drug.
Rationale 3: LSD is a Schedule I drug.
Rationale 4: Cocaine is a Schedule II drug.
Rationale 5: Diazepam (Valium) is a benzodiazepine. Benzodiazepines are Schedule IV drugs.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Some abusers use anabolic steroids to enhance their appearance. It should not be surprising to find steroid abuse in this patient.
Rationale 2: High school students are not tested for anabolic steroid use, so it would not be surprising to find steroid abuse in this patient.
Rationale 3: If this weightlifter is not competing in a professional organization, it would not be surprising to find that this patient is abusing anabolic steroids.
Rationale 4: Since most sports organizations, including professional football, test for steroid use, it would be surprising to find that this patient is abusing anabolic steroids.
Rationale 5: Since most sports organizations, including the Olympics, test for steroid use, it would be surprising to find that this patient is abusing anabolic steroids.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library