This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The mother of an adolescent patient says to the nurse, I think my son is staying up too late ... (Read 26 times)

stevenposner

The mother of an adolescent patient says to the nurse, I think my son is staying up too late studying, and I see him using Visine eye drops all the time for his red eyes. Should I have his vision checked? What is the best response by the nurse

1. He might be depressed; insomnia is common with depression.
  2. Sounds like he is smoking marijuana, and I would talk to him.
  3. Sounds like he is using cocaine; I have seen this before.
  4. Yes, that is a great idea, he may need some glasses.

Question 2

The patient is withdrawing from opioids. Which symptom best describe(s) the results of the nurse's assessment?

1. Abdominal cramping and pain
  2. Hypotension
  3. Pinpoint pupils
  4. Dilated pupils
  5. Diaphoresis

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

b614102004

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: One hallmark symptom of marijuana use is red or bloodshot eyes, caused by dilation of blood vessels. Visine constricts the blood vessels of the eyes, reducing the redness. It is important for the parent to discuss this with the adolescent. Having the adolescent's eyes checked may indicate that the mother is in denial, and that the nurse needs to be more alert to the signs and symptoms of drug abuse. Depression in this patient is possible, but depressed patients do not always have red eyes, and do not commonly use Visine eye drops. Red or bloodshot eyes are not commonly seen with cocaine abuse, but are always seen with marijuana use.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,4,5
Rationale: Signs of opioid withdrawal include diaphoresis, restlessness, dilated pupils, hypertension, and abdominal cramps and pain. The pupils will be dilated during opioid withdrawal, but will appear as pinpoints when the patient is using opioids. The blood pressure will be elevated during opioid withdrawal, but will be decreased when the patient is using opioids.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library