This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching patients in a senior center about complementary and alternative therapies. ... (Read 39 times)

ereecah

The nurse is teaching patients in a senior center about complementary and alternative therapies. Which statement by a patient indicates understanding of the information the nurse has presented?

1. I see now that ?natural' doesn't really mean ?safe,' and I should ask my health care provider about any supplements I want to take.
  2. I didn't realize some herbal supplements may be just as strong as a prescription drug. I will need to discuss any supplements I want to try with my doctor.
  3. I understand now that when I choose to use a natural product over a prescription medication, I could be delaying my recovery.
  4. It's good to know that herbs contain ingredients that are as powerful as a prescribed medication and are an option for safe and effective therapy.
  5. I'm allergic to many foods. It's good to know that because herbal products are natural, I don't have to worry about an allergic reaction.

Question 2

A patient who is considering taking a dietary supplement recommended by the nurse asks how to determine if the supplement is safe.

The nurse explains that the Dietary Supplement and Nonprescription Drug Consumer Protection Act of 2007 requires that companies marketing herbal and dietary supplements
  1. include their contact information on the label so consumers can report adverse effects.
  2. notify the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) within 15 days of receiving a report of an adverse effect.
  3. keep records of adverse effects for at least 6 years and make these records available for inspection by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  4. demonstrate product effectiveness prior to release of the product to the public.
  5. state which conditions the product is intended to cure or prevent.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aburgess

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Many herbal products are not standardized and may contain dozens of active chemicals, many of which have not been identified and studied, making these products potentially unsafe.
Rationale 2: Some herbs contain active chemicals that are just as powerful as approved prescription medications.
Rationale 3: Any time a patient chooses to use an unproven alternative therapy instead of an established, effective medical treatment, healing may be delayed.
Rationale 4: Herbs may or may not be a safe option. The active ingredients can cause interactions with other prescribed drugs.
Rationale 5: It is not unusual for an herbal supplement to contain dozens of chemicals from the flowers, leaves, or roots of the plant. Patients who have food allergies should consult with their health provider before using any herbal product.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: This legislation requires that the marketing company's contact information be listed on the label.
Rationale 2: The marketing company must notify the FDA of any reported adverse effects within 15 days.
Rationale 3: The marketing company must keep records of reported adverse effects for at least 6 years and make those records available to the FDA for inspection.
Rationale 4: The marketing company is not required to demonstrate the effectiveness of a product prior to release to the public.
Rationale 5: The marketing company cannot make the claim that a product can cure or prevent any conditions.

ereecah

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

laurnthompson

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library