This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse teaches a class about medication used during pregnancy to pregnant women. The nurse ... (Read 43 times)

Diane

The nurse teaches a class about medication used during pregnancy to pregnant women. The nurse determines that additional instruction is required when a patient makes which response?

1. The baby can only be harmed by medications during the first trimester.
  2. It is important to not take over-the-counter (OTC) drugs during my pregnancy.
  3. Exposure to teratogens can result in my baby's death or in malformations.
  4. If I breastfeed my baby, drugs can come through my breast milk.

Question 2

The nurse has made a medication error. The nurse manager determines the error was based on a common misinterpretation of which abbreviation?

1. IU
  2. SQ
  3. Q.O.D.
  4. U
  5. mcg

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Liamb2179

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: A baby can be harmed by medication used throughout the period of gestation. Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs should be avoided during pregnancy. Many drugs are transferred through breast milk. Teratogens can cause fetal demise and congenital malformations.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3,4
Rationale: This is the abbreviation for international unit but can be mistaken for IV or 10. The prescriber should write out international unit.

Diane

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

LVPMS

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library