This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The physician has prescribed quetiapine (Seroquel) for the patient with chronic auditory ... (Read 34 times)

PhilipSeeMore

The physician has prescribed quetiapine (Seroquel) for the patient with chronic auditory hallucinations. The patient has stopped taking the medication. The nurse incorrectly uses the diagnosis of noncompliance.

What is essential for the nurse to assess prior to using this nursing diagnosis?
  1. Do cultural or religious issues have an impact on taking the medication?
  2. Has the patient made an informed decision not to take the medication?
  3. Is the noncompliance related to a lack of finances?
  4. Did the patient understand why the medication had been prescribed?
  5. Are side effects causing the patient to refuse the medication?

Question 2

The patient is receiving an oral antibiotic as treatment for cellulitis of the lower extremity. The patient's outcome is Patient will state a key point about antibiotic treatment for cellulitis.

Which statement by the patient provides the best evaluation by the nurse at this time?
  1. If the pain gets too bad, I can take my prescribed pain medication.
  2. If the swelling continues, I can apply an ice pack.
  3. I need to take all the pills even if my leg looks better.
  4. I must keep my leg elevated until the swelling goes down.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tjayeee

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,3,4,5
Rationale: A lack of understanding of the reason the medication was prescribed, the occurrence of side effects, cultural or religious issues, and a lack of finances, can all contribute to noncompliance with medications. Noncompliance assumes that the patient has been properly educated about the medication and has made an informed decision not to take it. The nursing diagnosis of noncompliance would not be appropriate in this case.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: Taking all the medication even if the leg looks better is a key point about antibiotic therapy and meets the patient's outcome. Keeping the leg elevated does not address the outcome for antibiotic treatment. Applying an ice pack does not address the outcome for antibiotic treatment. Taking pain medication does not address the outcome for antibiotic treatment.

PhilipSeeMore

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

Jsherida

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library