This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client says to the nurse, My wife and I take the same drug, but we have different side effects. ... (Read 20 times)

elizabeth18

The client says to the nurse, My wife and I take the same drug, but we have different side effects. Are we doing something wrong? What is the best response by the nurse?

1. No. Differences such as your sex can result in different side effects.
  2. I'll have to check. What is the name of the drug you were using?
  3. Possibly. This could happen if one uses generic or brand name drugs.
  4. I'm not sure. Maybe the drug is not the same; you should check it.

Question 2

The client comes to the emergency department with a myocardial infarction. The client's husband tells the nurse that his wife has been taking calcium carbonate (Tums) for years for what she thought was indigestion. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. Your wife should not have self-diagnosed herself. I hope she will be okay.
  2. Why did you let her do that? She should have seen a doctor.
  3. Well, I am glad she is here, as it certainly wasn't indigestion.
  4. Your wife was self-diagnosing, which is generally not a good idea.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

wtf444

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Drugs may elicit different responses depending on individual client factors such as age, sex, body mass, health status, and genetics. Asking he client to check a medication is fine, but this does not answer the client's question. There are differences between some generic and brand name drugs, but this is not the best answer. The nurse should not have to check the drug; basic knowledge should include knowing that the sex of clients can result in different side effects.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale: Clients take over-the-counter (OTC) drugs for many reasons. Self-treatment is sometimes ineffective, and the potential for harm may increase if the disease is allowed to progress. Asking the husband why he let his wife take Tums is non-therapeutic and too accusatory; do not ask why questions. Telling the husband that it certainly wasn't indigestion is judgmental and will alienate the client and husband. Telling the husband I hope she will be okay is a very frightening response that implies she might die, and this is non-therapeutic.

elizabeth18

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

matt95

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library