This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client has been taking an opioid for pain relief following abdominal surgery. The client complains ... (Read 27 times)

abern

A client has been taking an opioid for pain relief following abdominal surgery. The client complains of constipation. Which statements indicate understanding by the client?(Select all that apply.)

1. I should only take a laxative when necessary.
  2. I should increase fluid intake.
  3. I should strain when I try to have a bowel movement.
  4. I should increase fiber intake.
  5. I should decrease my physical activity.

Question 2

A client asks the nurse why two antibiotics have been prescribed to treat H. pylori. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. Two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance.
  2. One antibiotic is to treat H. pylori and the other is for a secondary infection.
  3. The acid in your stomach will make one antibiotic ineffective, so you must take two.
  4. You should only be prescribed one antibiotic to treat H. pylori.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

firehawk60

Answer to Question 1

1, 2, 4

Rationale 1: The client should use a laxative, and dietary adjustments and increased physical activity should be considered before drugs are used to treat constipation.
Rationale 2: The client should use a laxative, and dietary adjustments and increased physical activity should be considered before drugs are used to treat constipation.
Rationale 3:I should strain when I try to have a bowel movement is incorrect because this should be avoided by the client following abdominal surgery.
Rationale 4: The client should use a laxative, and dietary adjustments and increased physical activity should be considered before drugs are used to treat constipation.
Rationale 5:I should decrease my physical activity is incorrect because the client should be encouraged to increase physical activity.

Global Rationale: The client should use a laxative, and dietary adjustments and increased physical activity should be considered before drugs are used to treat constipation. I should strain when I try to have a bowel movement is incorrect because this should be avoided by the client following abdominal surgery. I should decrease my physical activityis incorrect because the client should be encouraged to increase physical activity.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Two or more antibiotics increase the effectiveness of therapy and lower the potential for bacterial resistance.
Rationale 2:One antibiotic is to treat H. pylori and the other is for a secondary infection is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance.
Rationale 3:The acid in your stomach will make one antibiotic ineffective, so you must take two is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance.
Rationale 4:You should only be prescribed one antibiotic to treat H. pylori is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance.

Global Rationale: Two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance. One antibiotic is to treat H. pylori and the other is for a secondary infection is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance. The acid in your stomach will make one antibiotic ineffective, so you must take two is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance. You should only be prescribed one antibiotic to treat H. pylori is incorrect because two or more antibiotics are given concurrently to increase the effectiveness of therapy and to lower the potential for bacterial resistance.

abern

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

Side effects from substance abuse include nausea, dehydration, reduced productivitiy, and dependence. Though these effects usually worsen over time, the constant need for the substance often overcomes rational thinking.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library