This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing instructions to a client being discharged on ciprofloxacin (Cipro). What ... (Read 169 times)

j.rubin

The nurse is providing instructions to a client being discharged on ciprofloxacin (Cipro). What should be included in the teaching?(Select all that apply.)

1. Finish the full course of the prescription.
  2. Do not take with antacids.
  3. You might have some dizziness.
  4. Do not take with mineral supplements.
  5. Take the medication only with grapefruit juice.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a client who is being discharged with a prescription for a tetracycline. Which statement, if made by the client, would demonstrate an understanding of the discharge instructions?

1. It is fine for me to become pregnant while taking this medication.
  2. I am so glad to be leaving today because I have an appointment toget my hair cut.
  3. I will need to postpone my vacation at the beach until I finish this medication.
  4. I will stop taking this medication as soon as I feel better.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Danny Ewald

Answer to Question 1

1, 2, 3, 4

Rationale 1:Finish the full course of the prescription is correct. Prematurely stopping antibiotic therapy allows some pathogens to survive, thus promoting the development of resistant strains.
Rationale 2:Antacids should be avoided with ciprofloxacin (Cipro).
Rationale 3: Clients shouldreport dizziness and headache to the prescriber.
Rationale 4: Cipro should not be taken with antacids or mineral supplements, because drug absorption will be diminished.
Rationale 5:The medication can be taken with grapefruit juice. This medication does not have any juice restriction.

Global Rationale: Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) is in the fluoroquinolone class of drugs,most of which are absorbed well, with side effects of nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. They should not be taken with antacids or mineral supplements because these interact to reduce the absorption of some fluoroquinolones by as much as 90. Some clients report dizziness and headaches. No dietary restrictions are associated with fluoroquinolones.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1:It is fine for me to become pregnant while taking this medication is incorrect because the client should not become pregnant while taking this medication. It is a pregnancy category D medication.
Rationale 2:I am so glad to be leaving today because I have an appointment to get my hair cut is incorrect. Clients should be advised to avoid direct exposure to sunlight because tetracyclines can cause photosensitivity during therapy.
Rationale 3: Clients should be advised to avoid direct exposure to sunlight because tetracyclines can cause photosensitivity during therapy.
Rationale 4:I will stop taking this medication as soon as I feel better is incorrect because the client should finish all antibiotics.

Global Rationale: Clients should be advised to avoid direct exposure to sunlight because tetracyclines can cause photosensitivity during therapy.

j.rubin

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

helenmarkerine

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Urine turns bright yellow if larger than normal amounts of certain substances are consumed; one of these substances is asparagus.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library