This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient was admitted with Addison's disease. Assessment now reveals nausea, vomiting, and ... (Read 54 times)

pragya sharda

A patient was admitted with Addison's disease. Assessment now reveals nausea, vomiting, and confusion. The nurse anticipates which urgent intervention?

1. Placement of a nasogastric tube.
  2. Administration of intravenous hydrocortisone.
  3. Administration of intravenous diuretic.
  4. Immediate endotracheal intubation.

Question 2

The client receives lorazepam (Ativan) for chronic anxiety. The nurse determines that medication education has been most effective when the client makes which statement?

1. I will probably always need this medication for my anxiety.
  2. This medication will help me relax so I can focus on problem solving.
  3. This medication is not addictive.
  4. My anxiety will be eliminated when I take this medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

iman

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: A nasogastric tube may be necessary but is not the priority.
Rationale 2: Acute adrenal insufficiency requires immediate treatment with intravenous hydrocortisone.
Rationale 3: A diuretic may or may not be necessary but is not the priority.
Rationale 4: Intubation may or may not be necessary but is not the priority.

Global Rationale: Acute adrenal insufficiency requires immediate treatment with intravenous hydrocortisone. A nasogastric tube may be necessary but is not the priority. A diuretic and intubation may or may not be necessary but are not the priority.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1:I will probably always need this medication for my anxiety is incorrect because benzodiazepines provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress.
Rationale 2:This medication will help me relax so I can focus on problem solving. Benzodiazepines do not cure anxiety; they provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress.
Rationale 3:This medication is not addictive is incorrect because all benzodiazepines are addictive, but most clients should not need to take benzodiazepines indefinitely for anxiety.
Rationale 4:My anxiety will be eliminated when I take this medication is incorrect because benzodiazepines provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress.

Global Rationale: This medication will help me relax so I can focus on problem solving. Benzodiazepines do not cure anxiety; they provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress. I will probably always need this medication for my anxiety is incorrect because benzodiazepines provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress. This medication is not addictive is incorrect because all benzodiazepines are addictive, but most clients should not need to take benzodiazepines indefinitely for anxiety. My anxiety will be eliminated when I take this medication is incorrect because benzodiazepines provide short-term relief of anxiety while the client focuses on alternative therapies. Clients should be encouraged to explore and develop coping strategies for dealing with stress.

pragya sharda

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Intradermal injections are somewhat difficult to correctly administer because the skin layers are so thin that it is easy to accidentally punch through to the deeper subcutaneous layer.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library