This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient says, I have such bad seasonal allergies. Is there anything I can take to keep them from ... (Read 24 times)

sam.t96

A patient says, I have such bad seasonal allergies. Is there anything I can take to keep them from happening? What information should the nurse provide?

1. Some antihistamines can help prevent onset of allergies.
  2. Some patients find that intranasal corticosteroids help prevent their allergies.
  3. Drugs that are mast cell stabilizers may help you avoid your seasonal allergies.
  4. Oral decongestants can help you prevent allergies.
  5. Nasal decongestants are very good at preventing allergic response.

Question 2

First-pass effect can result in a large fraction of an administered drug being metabolically deactivated. Which client factors will decrease the magnitude of the first-pass effect?(Select all that apply.)

1. Elderly client
  2. Hepatic disease
  3. Gallbladder disease
  4. Renal disease
  5. Parenteral medication administration

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

millet

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Antihistamines are preventers of allergies.
Rationale 2: Intranasal corticosteroids are preventers of allergies.
Rationale 3: Mast cell stabilizers are preventers of allergies.
Rationale 4: Oral decongestants are relievers of allergic symptoms.
Rationale 5: Nasal decongestants are relievers of allergic symptoms.

Global Rationale: Antihistamines, intranasal corticosteroids, and mast cell stabilizers are preventers of allergies. Oral and nasal antihistamines are relievers of allergic symptoms.

Answer to Question 2

1, 2

Rationale 1: Elderly clients have reduced enzyme activity; thus, first-pass effect is reduced in this population.
Rationale 2: Liver enzymes are the major metabolic pathway for deactivation of most drugs, and clients with liver disease have decreased amounts of liver enzymes. First-pass effect will be diminished in these clients.
Rationale 3: The gallbladder is not involved in first-pass effect.
Rationale 4: The kidneys are not involved in first-pass effect.
Rationale 5: Medications given parenterally are not affected by the first-pass effect.

Global Rationale: Elderly clients have reduced enzyme activity; thus, first-pass effect is reduced in this population. Liver enzymes are the major metabolic pathway for deactivation of most drugs, and clients with liver disease have decreased amounts of liver enzymes. First-pass effect will be diminished in these clients. The gallbladder is not involved in first-pass effect. The kidneys are not involved in first-pass effect. Medications given parenterally are not affected by the first-pass effect.

sam.t96

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

TheDev123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library