This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who was administered prazosin (Minipress) became unconscious 30 minutes after the first ... (Read 25 times)

oliviahorn72

A patient who was administered prazosin (Minipress) became unconscious 30 minutes after the first dose. What medications should the nurse prepare for resuscitation? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Normal saline
  2. Dobutamine
  3. Atenolol (Tenormin)
  4. Carvedilol (Coreg)
  5. Propranolol (Inderal)

Question 2

The nurse completed medication education with the patient who receives hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide). The nurse determines that teaching has been effective when the patient makes which statement?

1. I really need to avoid grapefruit juice when I take this medication.
  2. I need to avoid salt substitutes and potassium-rich foods.
  3. I take my medication early in the morning.
  4. If I develop a cough, I should call my doctor.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jgranad15

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: Unconsciousness after the first dose of prazosin (Minipress) is typically due to severe hypotension. Normal saline can be used as a volume expander.
Rationale 2: Unconsciousness after the first dose of prazosin (Minipress) is typically due to severe hypotension. Treatment with a vasopressor such as dobutamine may be indicated.
Rationale 3: Atenolol (Tenormin) is an adrenergic blocker and would exacerbate the problem.
Rationale 4: Carvedilol (Coreg) is an adrenergic blocker and would exacerbate the problem.
Rationale 5: Propranolol (Inderal) is an adrenergic blocker and would exacerbate the problem.

Global Rationale: Unconsciousness after the first dose of prazosin (Minipress) is typically due to severe hypotension. Normal saline can be used as a volume expander. Treatment with a vasopressor such as dobutamine may be indicated. Atenolol (Tenormin), carvedilol (Coreg), and propranolol (Inderal) are adrenergic blockers and would exacerbate the problem.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of the calcium channel blockers.
Rationale 2: Hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide) is a potassium-excreting diuretic, and potassium supplementation is often necessary.
Rationale 3: Taking hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide) early in the day will help prevent nocturia.
Rationale 4: Development of a cough occurs with ACE inhibitors, not diuretics.
Global Rationale: Taking hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide) early in the day will help prevent nocturia. Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolism of the calcium channel blockers. Hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide) is a potassium-excreting diuretic, and potassium supplementation is often necessary. Development of a cough occurs with ACE inhibitors, not diuretics.

oliviahorn72

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library