This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse manager would determine that a nurse understands culturally sensitive care if which ... (Read 29 times)

schs14

The nurse manager would determine that a nurse understands culturally sensitive care if which statements are made? Note: Credit will be given only if all correct choices and no incorrect choices are selected. Standard Text: Select all that apply.

1. Since all of our patients have the same illnesses, I sometimes get bored.
  2. I have been helping my patient understand how to choose foods from our diet menu.
  3. I am concerned because my patient needs sterile dressing changes but has no running water at home.
  4. My patient and I worked out a way to get her medications delivered to her at home.
  5. I invited a group from my church to come and sing hymns for our patients.

Question 2

The mother of an adolescent patient says to the nurse, I think my son is staying up too late studying. He seems listless, and I see him using eye drops all the time for his red eyes. Should I have his vision checked? What is the best response by the nurse?

1. He might be depressed; insomnia is common with depression.
  2. He could be smoking marijuana, and I would talk to him.
  3. Sounds like he is using cocaine; I have seen this before.
  4. Yes, that is a great idea; he may need some glasses.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

coreycathey

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: A nurse who believes that patients who have the same illness are alike is not seeing their psychosocial needs.
Rationale 2: Helping the patient cope and navigate through the hospital culture is a culturally sensitive action.
Rationale 3: Cultural sensitivity takes environment into consideration.
Rationale 4: Helping the patient cope and navigate through potential blockers to medication adherence is a culturally sensitive action.
Rationale 5: Imposing one's own religious beliefs on others is not culturally sensitive.
Global Rationale: Helping the patient cope and navigate through the hospital culture is a culturally sensitive action. Cultural sensitivity takes environment into consideration. Helping the patient cope and navigate through potential blockers to medication adherence is a culturally sensitive action. A nurse who believes that patients who have the same illness are alike is not seeing their psychosocial needs. Imposing one's own religious beliefs on others is not culturally sensitive.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1: Depression in this patient is possible, but depressed patients do not always have red eyes and do not commonly use eye drops.
Rationale 2: Chronic use of marijuana is associated with a lack of motivation in achieving or pursuing life goals. One hallmark symptom of marijuana use is red or bloodshot eyes, caused by dilation of blood vessels. It is important for the parent to discuss this with the adolescent.
Rationale 3: Red or bloodshot eyes are not commonly seen with cocaine abuse but are always seen with marijuana use.
Rationale 4: Having the adolescent's eyes checked may indicate that the mother is in denial and that the nurse needs to be more alert to the signs and symptoms of drug abuse.
Global Rationale: Chronic use of marijuana is associated with a lack of motivation in achieving or pursuing life goals. One hallmark symptom of marijuana use is red or bloodshot eyes, caused by dilation of blood vessels. Visine constricts the blood vessels of the eyes, reducing the redness. It is important for the parent to discuss this with the adolescent. Having the adolescent's eyes checked may indicate that the mother is in denial and that the nurse needs to be more alert to the signs and symptoms of drug abuse. Depression in this patient is possible, but depressed patients do not always have red eyes and do not commonly use eye drops. Red or bloodshot eyes are not commonly seen with cocaine abuse but are always seen with marijuana use.

schs14

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library