This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing patient education about the administration of ritonavir (Norvir). What ... (Read 13 times)

Kikoku

The nurse is providing patient education about the administration of ritonavir (Norvir). What statement by the patient demonstrates understanding of the teaching?

a. I can take my medicine with my coffee.
  b. I should take my medicine with a glass of milk.
  c. I may take my medication with water but on an empty stomach.
  d. I may take my medication with a very low-fat meal.

Question 2

After starting an antiviral protease inhibitor, a patient with HIV telephones the nurse, complaining, I'm so hungry and thirsty all the time I'm urinating 10 or 12 times a day. The nurse recognizes these findings to be consistent with

a. pancreatic infiltration by HIV.
  b. allergic reaction.
  c. nonadherence to the antiviral regimen.
  d. hyperglycemia.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mistyjohnson

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
To maximize absorption, the medication should be administered with water but on an empty stomach.
The medication should not be taken with coffee, milk, or any meal.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Protease inhibitors have been associated with hyperglycemia, new-onset diabetes, abrupt exacerbation of existing diabetes, and diabetic ketoacidosis.
These symptoms are not consistent with pancreatic infiltration or an allergic reaction.
No evidence indicates that the patient is noncompliant.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

The first oral chemotherapy drug for colon cancer was approved by FDA in 2001.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library