This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is discussing the side effects of opioid medications with a group of cancer patients. Which ... (Read 33 times)

fasfsadfdsfa

A nurse is discussing the side effects of opioid medications with a group of cancer patients. Which signs and symptoms are side effects of chronic opiate use that should be discussed? (Select all that apply).

a. Sedation
  b. Orthostatic hypotension
  c. Hypertension
  d. Nausea
  e. Diarrhea

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a patient undergoing chemotherapy. A patient asks for ibuprofen (Motrin) and states, I didn't bring mine with me. I usually take them about four times a day.

The nurse should notify the prescriber and anticipate an order for a(n)
  a. serum creatinine level.
  b. platelet count.
  c. salicylate level.
  d. absolute neutrophil count.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

djofnc

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, D
Side effects of opioids include sedation, orthostatic hypotension, and nausea.
Hypertension and diarrhea are not side effects of opioids; hypotension and constipation are the appropriate side effects.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
For patients undergoing chemotherapy, inhibition of platelet aggregation by nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs is a serious concern, because many anticancer drugs suppress bone marrow function and reduce platelet production. Thrombocytopenia may result, putting the patient at risk for bleeding.
A serum creatinine level is not indicated, because ibuprofen is not a nephrotoxic drug.
A salicylate level would be indicated if the patient were taking aspirin, not ibuprofen.
An absolute neutrophil count is not indicated in a patient taking ibuprofen.

fasfsadfdsfa

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

strudel15

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Human kidneys will clean about 1 million gallons of blood in an average lifetime.

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

If you use artificial sweeteners, such as cyclamates, your eyes may be more sensitive to light. Other factors that will make your eyes more sensitive to light include use of antibiotics, oral contraceptives, hypertension medications, diuretics, and antidiabetic medications.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library