This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is discussing health maintenance with the parent of a newborn infant. Which statement by the ... (Read 14 times)

rachel9

A nurse is discussing health maintenance with the parent of a newborn infant. Which statement by the parent indicates understanding of ways to reduce the incidence of otitis media?

a. I should hold my baby in an upright position during feeding.
  b. I should keep my baby out of day care during cold and flu season.
  c. My baby should not use a pacifier after 6 months of age.
  d. The pneumococcal vaccine will prevent my baby from getting ear infections.

Question 2

A patient has been diagnosed with fungal otitis externa (otomycosis). The nurse correctly explains that for the first course of treatment the patient should expect: a. acidifying drops for 1 week.

a. acidifying drops for 1 week.
  b. antibiotic ear drops.
  c. intravenous (IV) antifungal agents.
  d. oral antibiotics.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lorealeza77

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Avoiding child care centers when respiratory infections are prevalent can significantly reduce the incidence of AOM. Holding infants in an upright position is an unproved recommendation. Avoiding pacifier use in the second 6 months of life is an unproved recommendation. The pneumococcal vaccine can slightly reduce the risk of AOM.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
As a rule, otomycosis can be managed with thorough cleansing and application of acidifying drops (2 acetic acid solution applied 3 or 4 times a day for 7 days). If that does not work, an antifungal drug solution can be tried. If the infection fails to respond to the drug, oral antifungal therapy may be needed. Neither antibiotic ear drops nor oral antibiotics are indicated as the first course of treatment. IV antifungal agents are not indicated at all.

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library