This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing education about tetracycline (Sumycin). Which statement by the patient best ... (Read 31 times)

rosent76

A nurse is providing education about tetracycline (Sumycin). Which statement by the patient best demonstrates understanding of the administration of this medication?

a. I should not take this medication with milk or other dairy products.
  b. I should not worry if I experience an acnelike rash with this medication.
  c. I should take an antacid, such as Tums, if I experience gastrointestinal distress.
  d. I should take this antibiotic with a calcium supplement to improve absorption.

Question 2

A patient will be discharged home to complete treatment with intravenous cefotetan with the assistance of a home nurse. The home care nurse will include which instruction when teaching the patient about this drug treatment?

a. Abstain from alcohol consumption during therapy.
  b. Avoid dairy products while taking this drug.
  c. Take an antihistamine if a rash occurs.
  d. Use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), not acetaminophen, for pain.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nhea

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
The patient should avoid taking the medication with dairy products to help prevent chelation. An acnelike reaction would indicate an allergic response. Taking the medication with calcium-containing antacids or supplements should be avoided, because this also leads to chelation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Four cephalosporins, including cefotetan, can induce a state of alcohol intolerance and cause a disulfiram-like reaction when alcohol is consumed; therefore, patients should be advised to avoid alcohol. It is not necessary to avoid dairy products. Patients who experience a rash should report this to their provider. Cefotetan can also promote bleeding, so drugs that inhibit platelet aggregation should be avoided.

rosent76

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Joy Chen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Approximately 15–25% of recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, many miscarriages often occur before a woman even knows she is pregnant.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

Alcohol acts as a diuretic. Eight ounces of water is needed to metabolize just 1 ounce of alcohol.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library