This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse performing an admission history on a patient learns that the patient is taking orlistat ... (Read 52 times)

ishan

A nurse performing an admission history on a patient learns that the patient is taking orlistat (Xenical), warfarin (Coumadin), and levothyroxine (Synthroid). What will the nurse do?

a. Contact the provider to discuss increasing the warfarin dose.
  b. Give the levothyroxine at least 4 hours before giving the orlistat.
  c. Suggest that the patient avoid fatty foods while taking these medications.
  d. Tell the patient to take the orlistat on an empty stomach.

Question 2

Which statement by a patient about to begin taking orlistat (Xenical) for weight loss therapy indicates an understanding of this drug's actions?

a. I can eat as much as I want and still lose weight.
  b. I should avoid fat-soluble vitamin supplements while taking this drug.
  c. If I take a bulk-forming laxative, I can reduce the incidence of fecal incontinence.
  d. If I take the drug 4 times daily instead of twice daily, I will lose weight faster.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jaygar71

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Orlistat may cause hypothyroidism in patients taking levothyroxine; these two drugs should be administered at least 4 hours apart. The vitamin K deficiency that can occur with orlistat may compound the effects of warfarin, so coagulation should be monitored; it is more likely that the warfarin dose would need to be reduced. The patient may still consume foods containing fat, as long as fat accounts for about 30 of the total intake. Orlistat should be taken with food.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Because orlistat reduces fat absorption, stools often are fatty or oily, and fecal incontinence can occur. Bulk-forming laxatives can help with this side effect. For orlistat to be effective, patients still need to adopt a reduced-calorie diet with a 30 fat content. Patients should take fat-soluble vitamin supplements to replace those lost in stools. Taking the drug more often does not increase weight loss.

ishan

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

peter

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

Symptoms of kidney problems include a loss of appetite, back pain (which may be sudden and intense), chills, abdominal pain, fluid retention, nausea, the urge to urinate, vomiting, and fever.

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library