This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A child with seasonal rhinitis has used budesonide (Rhinocort Aqua) for several years. The parents ... (Read 10 times)

Haya94

A child with seasonal rhinitis has used budesonide (Rhinocort Aqua) for several years. The parents are concerned that the child's rate of growth has slowed. What will the nurse do?

a. Reassure the parents that this is an expected side effect.
  b. Suggest that the parents discuss using fluticasone (Flonase) with the provider.
  c. Tell the parents to administer the drug only when symptoms are severe.
  d. Tell the parents that antihistamines work as well as intranasal glucocorticoids.

Question 2

A nurse provides teaching to a patient with allergic rhinitis who will begin using an intranasal glucocorticoid. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. If the glucocorticoid causes burning or itching, I should use it every other day.
  b. I should clear secretions from my nose before using the glucocorticoid.
  c. I should use the glucocorticoid whenever I have symptoms.
  d. I will probably develop systemic effects from the topical glucocorticoid.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ashely1112

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A worrisome systemic effect of intranasal glucocorticoids is suppression of linear growth in children. Although rare, it can occur; however, it is less likely with fluticasone and mometasone, so these two preparations are better options for children. Reassuring parents that this is an expected side effect is incorrect. Intranasal glucocorticoids should be given daily and not as needed. Antihistamines are not as effective as glucocorticoids, because antihistamines work only against one mediator of allergic inflammation.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients using intranasal glucocorticoids should be taught to clear secretions from the nasal passages before using the medication. Intranasal glucocorticoids should be used regularly on a daily basis to achieve optimal effects and not every other day or as needed. Systemic effects from intranasal glucocorticoids can occur but are not likely.

Haya94

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

Jossy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library