This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse provides teaching to a patient who has undergone kidney transplantation and will begin ... (Read 39 times)

leo leo

A nurse provides teaching to a patient who has undergone kidney transplantation and will begin taking cyclosporine (Sandimmune), a glucocorticoid, and sirolimus (Rapamune).

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?
  a. I should take sirolimus at the same time as the cyclosporine.
  b. I will need to have my blood sugar checked regularly.
  c. I will need to take an antibiotic to prevent lung infections.
  d. Taking this combination of drugs lowers my risk of kidney damage.

Question 2

A patient has undergone liver transplantation. The provider orders cyclosporine (Sandimmune), prednisone, and sirolimus (Rapamune). What will the nurse do?

a. Question the order for sirolimus.
  b. Request an order for a serum glucose level.
  c. Request an order for a macrolide antibiotic.
  d. Suggest changing the cyclosporine to tacrolimus.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

angrybirds13579

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Immunosuppressant drugs increase the risk of infections, especially the BK virus, which can cause renal damage, and other organisms that cause lung infections. Patients taking these drugs must take antibiotics for the first 12 months to help prevent infection. Sirolimus and cyclosporine should be taken 4 hours apart. Patients with diabetes may have trouble with glucose tolerance and require monitoring. Taking cyclosporine and sirolimus increases the risk of renal damage.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Sirolimus is given to prevent rejection in renal transplantation; it has no proof of efficacy in patients with heart, lung, or liver transplants. A serum glucose level is not indicated; patients taking repaglinide for diabetes should be monitored closely while taking cyclosporine. Although antibiotic prophylaxis may be necessary, macrolide antibiotics increase the level of cyclosporine. Tacrolimus is more toxic than cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

Less than one of every three adults with high LDL cholesterol has the condition under control. Only 48.1% with the condition are being treated for it.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library