Author Question: A pregnant patient is 1 week post-term and will receive intravenous oxytocin. Which will the nurse ... (Read 88 times)

mpobi80

A pregnant patient is 1 week post-term and will receive intravenous oxytocin. Which will the nurse evaluate before starting the infusion? (Select all that apply.)

a. Cervical ripening
  b. Fetal monitoring
  c. Renal function
  d. Respiratory function
  e. Uterine activity

Question 2

A nurse provides teaching to a woman who is taking tranexamic acid (Lysteda) for menorrhagia. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I may experience back pain or muscle cramps while taking this drug.
  b. I may take two tablets 3 times daily for up to 5 days with each period.
  c. I should take an oral contraceptive to prevent pregnancy while taking this drug.
  d. I should take this medication with food to improve absorption of the drug.

popopong

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, E
Before labor can be safely induced, cervical ripening must occur. Baseline data must include full maternal and fetal status. Maternal renal function and respiratory function are not part of the baseline assessment.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The greatest concern with tranexamic acid (TA) is venous or arterial thrombosis. Women taking TA should not take oral contraceptives, which would increase the risk of thrombosis. Back pain and muscle cramps are known adverse effects. Women may take up to two tablets 3 times a day for up to 5 days with each period. The medication can be taken with or without food, but bioavailability increases in the presence of food.