This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with endometriosis is being treated with the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist ... (Read 26 times)

colton

A patient with endometriosis is being treated with the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist leuprolide (Lupron Depot). A nurse is teaching the patient about the drug.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?
  a. I can continue to take the medication if I get pregnant.
  b. I can expect the medication to cure my symptoms.
  c. I may have menopausal-like symptoms when taking this medication.
  d. I will need to take the medication for several years.

Question 2

A patient with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) asks the nurse what she can do to improve her chances of getting pregnant. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. Clomiphene will help induce ovulation but will not treat the other symptoms of polycystic ovarian disease.
  b. If I lose weight, my infertility and irregular periods could resolve without medications.
  c. Metformin improves insulin sensitivity and reduces male hormone levels.
  d. Spironolactone, which reduces androgens and facial hair, is helpful if I'm trying to conceive.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Liamb2179

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Because the GnRH agonists deprive the ovary of the stimulation to produce estrogen, women may experience symptoms associated with menopause, including hot flashes, vaginal dryness, decreased libido, mood changes, and headache. GnRH agonists are teratogenic and should not be used during pregnancy. The medication does not produce a cure; symptoms return in up to 50 of women after discontinuation of the drug. GnRH agonists should be discontinued after 6 months of treatment because of the risk of osteoporosis.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Spironolactone is antiandrogenic; it can reduce hirsutism and acne, but it also can harm the fetus and should not be used in patients trying to conceive. Clomiphene helps induce ovulation but does not treat symptoms of PCOS. Patients who lose weight might experience a reversal of symptoms without medications, although weight loss may be difficult to achieve. Metformin reduces serum insulin levels by increasing insulin sensitivity and indirectly lowers androgen levels.

colton

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

connor417

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library