This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who begins to complain of shortness of breath. The nurse assesses ... (Read 46 times)

Arii_bell

The nurse is caring for a patient who begins to complain of shortness of breath. The nurse assesses the patient and notes 3+ pitting edema bilaterally in the lower extremities. Which medication taken by the patient causes the most concern?

a. Epoetin alfa
  b. Filgrastim (granulocyte colonystimulating factor)
  c. Oprelvekin (interleukin-11)
  d. Sargramostim (granulocyte-macrophage colonystimulating factor)

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient with chronic renal failure who will begin receiving epoetin alfa (Epogen) about this drug therapy. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. If I have to start dialysis, I will have to stop taking this drug.
  b. Taking this drug should eliminate my need for blood transfusions.
  c. Taking this medication will prevent the need for dialysis in the future.
  d. When I take this, my serum ferritin levels will increase.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ynlevi

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Oprelvekin causes the kidneys to retain sodium and water, which causes peripheral edema and expansion of plasma volume. Some patients experience dyspnea. Fluid retention is not an adverse effect of epoetin alfa, filgrastim, or sargramostim.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Epoetin alfa virtually eliminates the need for blood transfusions in patients with CRF. Dialysis is not a contraindication for taking this drug. Epoetin alfa does not prevent the need for dialysis. Epoetin alfa does not raise the serum ferritin level.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library