This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been taking warfarin (Coumadin) for atrial fibrillation. The provider has ordered ... (Read 58 times)

CORALGRILL2014

A patient has been taking warfarin (Coumadin) for atrial fibrillation. The provider has ordered dabigatran etexilate (Pradaxa) to replace the warfarin. The nurse teaches the patient about the change in drug regimen.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?
  a. I may need to adjust the dose of dabigatran after weaning off the warfarin.
  b. I should continue to take the warfarin after beginning the dabigatran until my INR is greater than 3.
  c. I should stop taking the warfarin 3 days before starting the dabigatran.
  d. I will stop taking the warfarin and will start taking the dabigatran when my INR is less than 2.

Question 2

A patient who has taken warfarin (Coumadin) for a year begins taking carbamazepine. The nurse will anticipate an order to:

a. decrease the dose of carbamazepine.
  b. increase the dose of warfarin.
  c. perform more frequent aPTT monitoring.
  d. provide extra dietary vitamin K.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

blakcmamba

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
When switching from warfarin to dabigatran, patients should stop taking the warfarin and begin taking the dabigatran when the INR is less than 2. It is not correct to begin taking the dabigatran before stopping the warfarin. While warfarin is stopped before beginning the dabigatran, the decision to start taking the dabigatran is based on the patient's INR and not on the amount of time that has elapsed.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Carbamazepine is a powerful inducer of hepatic drug-metabolizing enzymes and can accelerate warfarin degradation. The warfarin dose should be increased if the patient begins taking carbamazepine. Decreasing the dose of carbamazepine is not indicated. It is not necessary to perform more frequent aPTT monitoring or to add extra vitamin K.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

Dominic

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library