This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has been taking verapamil (Calan) for hypertension complains of constipation. The ... (Read 22 times)

fagboi

A patient who has been taking verapamil (Calan) for hypertension complains of constipation. The patient will begin taking amlodipine (Norvasc) to prevent this side effect.

The nurse provides teaching about the difference between the two drugs. Which statement by the patient indicates that further teaching is needed?
  a. I can expect dizziness and facial flushing with nifedipine.
  b. I should notify the provider if I have swelling of my hands and feet.
  c. I will need to take a beta blocker to prevent reflex tachycardia.
  d. I will need to take this drug once a day.

Question 2

A nurse is administering a vasodilator that dilates resistance vessels. The nurse understands that this drug will have which effect on the patient?

a. Decreased cardiac preload
  b. Decreased cardiac output
  c. Increased tissue perfusion
  d. Increased ventricular contraction

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcni194

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Amlodipine produces selective blockade of calcium channels in blood vessels with minimal effects on the heart. Reflex tachycardia is not common, so a beta blocker is not indicated to prevent this effect. Dizziness and facial flushing may occur. Peripheral edema may occur and should be reported to the provider. Amlodipine is given once daily.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Vasodilators that dilate resistance vessels, or arterioles, cause a decrease in afterload, which allows cardiac output and tissue perfusion to increase. A decrease in preload would be the result of dilation of capacitance vessels, or veins. Dilation of arterioles increases cardiac output. Ventricular contraction results when preload is increased.

fagboi

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library