This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who stops taking an ACE inhibitor because of its side effects will begin taking an ... (Read 50 times)

lak

A patient who stops taking an ACE inhibitor because of its side effects will begin taking an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) medication. Which side effect of ACE inhibitors will not occur with an ARB medication?

a. Angioedema
  b. Cancer
  c. Cough
  d. Renal failure

Question 2

A female patient who is not taking any other medications is prescribed aliskiren (Tekturna), a direct renin inhibitor (DRI). The nurse reviews medication information with the patient.

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?
  a. If I get pregnant, I should stop taking this drug by the second trimester.
  b. If I take this drug with a high-fat meal, it will be more effective.
  c. I should restrict my potassium intake while taking this drug.
  d. I should take this medication 1 hour before sitting down to a meal.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

CAPTAINAMERICA

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
ARBs do not promote the accumulation of bradykinin in the lungs and do not induce cough. Angioedema may occur with ARBs, but the incidence is lower than with ACE inhibitors. An increased risk of cancer may be a concern with ARBs but is not a concern with ACE inhibitors. As with ACE inhibitors, renal failure can occur in patients with bilateral renal artery stenosis or stenosis in the artery to a single remaining kidney.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
DRIs should be taken on an empty stomach to improve their bioavailability. Patients should not take this drug when pregnant and should stop immediately upon finding out they are pregnant. Dosing with a high-fat meal reduces the drug's bioavailability. DRIs rarely cause hyperkalemia when taken alone.

lak

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

kthug

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library