This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has localized muscle spasms after an injury. The prescriber has ordered tizanidine ... (Read 31 times)

lak

A patient has localized muscle spasms after an injury. The prescriber has ordered tizanidine (Zanaflex) to alleviate the spasms.

When obtaining the patient's health history, the nurse should be concerned about which of the following as a possible reason for considering another drug?
  a. Concomitant use of aspirin
  b. A history of hepatitis
  c. A history of malignant hyperthermia
  d. Occasional use of alcohol

Question 2

A nurse is providing teaching to a patient newly diagnosed with partial seizures who will begin taking oxcarbazepine (Trileptal). The patient also takes furosemide (Lasix) and digoxin (Lanoxin).

Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?
  a. I may need to increase my dose of Trileptal while taking these medications.
  b. I may develop a rash and itching, but these are not considered serious.
  c. I should report any nausea, drowsiness, and headache to my provider.
  d. I should use salt substitutes instead of real salt while taking these drugs.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Hepatotoxicity is a serious potential problem in a patient receiving tizanidine, because the drug can cause liver damage. Baseline liver enzymes should be obtained before dosing and periodically thereafter. Analgesic anti-inflammatory drugs commonly are used in conjunction with centrally acting muscle relaxants, so using aspirin is not a concern. This drug does not contribute to malignant hyperthermia. Patients should be advised to avoid alcohol when taking this drug, but a history of occasional alcohol use is not a contraindication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Oxcarbazepine can cause clinically significant hyponatremia in 2.5 of patients. If oxcarbazepine is combined with other drugs that reduce sodium, the patient should be monitored. Signs of hyponatremia include nausea, drowsiness, confusion, and headache, and patients should be taught to report these symptoms. Increasing the dose of oxcarbazepine is not indicated. Rashes can indicate a serious drug reaction, and providers should be notified so that the oxcarbazepine can be withdrawn. Salt substitutes would compound the problem of hyponatremia.

lak

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Chelseyj.hasty

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library