This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is discussing motor symptoms with a patient with Parkinson's disease who has been taking ... (Read 22 times)

sheilaspns

A nurse is discussing motor symptoms with a patient with Parkinson's disease who has been taking levodopa/carbidopa (Sinemet) and who is now having regular tics. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of this symptom?

a. I may need to try a lower dose of Sinemet to reduce my tics.
  b. My provider may order clozapine to treat these tics.
  c. These tics are an indication that my dose of Sinemet is too low.
  d. This means I will have to have surgery to stop the symptoms.

Question 2

A nursing student wants to know why a patient who has been taking levodopa (Dopar) for years will now receive levodopa/carbidopa (Sinemet).

The nurse explains the reasons that levodopa as a single agent is no longer available. Which statement by the student indicates a need for further education?
  a. Carbidopa increases the availability of levodopa in the central nervous system.
  b. Carbidopa reduces the incidence of nausea and vomiting.
  c. Combination products reduce peripheral cardiovascular side effects.
  d. Combination products cause fewer dyskinesias and decreased psychosis.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jliusyl

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Levodopa can cause movement disorders. If they occur, a lower dose of levodopa may be required to alleviate them. Clozapine is an antipsychotic used to treat levodopa-induced psychoses. Movement disorders generally occur as the dose of levodopa increases. Surgery is a last option for treating movement disorders, after amantadine fails.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Adding carbidopa to levodopa does not reduce the incidence of dyskinesias or psychosis. In fact, carbidopa can increase the intensity and the speed of onset of these effects. Carbidopa inhibits decarboxylation of levodopa in the intestine and peripheral tissues, leading to more levodopa in the CNS. Carbidopa cannot cross the blood-brain barrier, so it does not have this action in the CNS. Peripheral side effects are reduced, including nausea, vomiting, and cardiovascular effects.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library