This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has been taking clonidine (Catapres) for several weeks complains of drowsiness and ... (Read 42 times)

wenmo

A patient who has been taking clonidine (Catapres) for several weeks complains of drowsiness and constipation. What will the nurse do?

a. Recommend that the patient take most of the daily dose at bedtime.
  b. Suggest asking the provider for a transdermal preparation of the drug.
  c. Suspect that the patient is overusing the medication.
  d. Tell the patient to stop taking the drug and call the provider.

Question 2

A prescriber has ordered clonidine (Catapres) for a patient who has hypertension. The nurse teaches the patient about side effects of this drug. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I should chew sugar-free gum or drink water to reduce dry mouth.
  b. I should not drive as long as I am taking this drug.
  c. I should stand up slowly when taking this medication.
  d. I should stop taking this drug if I feel anxious or depressed.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

zoeyesther

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
CNS depression is common with clonidine, but this effect lessens over time. Constipation is also a common side effect. Patients who take most of the daily amount at bedtime can minimize daytime sedation. Transdermal forms of clonidine do not alter adverse effects. Patients who are abusing clonidine often experience euphoria and hallucinations along with sedation, but they generally find these effects desirable and would not complain about them to a healthcare provider. Clonidine should not be withdrawn abruptly, because serious rebound hypertension can occur.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Xerostomia is a common side effect of clonidine and is often uncomfortable enough that patients stop using the drug. Counseling patients to chew sugar-free gum and take frequent sips of liquid can help alleviate this discomfort. Drowsiness is common, but this side effect becomes less intense over time. Patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities in the first weeks of therapy if they feel this effect. The hypertensive effects of clonidine are not posture dependent, as they are with the peripheral alpha-adrenergic blockers, so orthostatic hypotension is minimal with this drug. Clonidine causes euphoria, hallucinations, and sedation in high doses and can cause anxiety or depression, although the last two effects are less common. The drug should not be stopped abruptly because of the risk of rebound hypertension, so patients experiencing unpleasant central nervous system (CNS) effects should consult their provider about withdrawing the medication slowly.

wenmo

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

AngeliqueG

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library