This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient will begin taking propranolol (Inderal) for hypertension. Which statement by the nurse is ... (Read 46 times)

misspop

A patient will begin taking propranolol (Inderal) for hypertension. Which statement by the nurse is important when teaching this patient about the medication?

a. Check your hands and feet for swelling and report that to your provider.
  b. It is safe to take this medication with a calcium channel blocker.
  c. Stop taking the drug if you become short of breath.
  d. Take your pulse and do not take the medication if your heart rate is fast.

Question 2

A patient with migraines is started on a beta blocker. The nurse explains the benefits of taking the medication for migraines. Which statement by the patient indicates an understanding of the medication's effects?

a. I need to take it every day to reduce the frequency of migraines.
  b. I will take it as needed to get relief from migraines.
  c. I will take it to shorten the duration of my migraines.
  d. I will take this drug when a migraine starts.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joshraies

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients taking propranolol can develop heart failure because of the suppression in myocardial contractility. Patients should be taught to watch for signs, which include shortness of breath, night coughs, and swelling of the extremities. Use of these agents with calcium channel blockers is contraindicated, because the effects are identical and excessive cardiosuppression can occur. Shortness of breath should be reported to the provider, but abrupt cessation of the drug can cause rebound cardiac excitability. Propranolol reduces the heart rate and should not be given if the pulse is less than 60 beats per minute.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
When taken prophylactically, beta blockers can reduce the frequency of migraine attacks. Beta blockers do not provide complete relief from migraines. They do not reduce the duration of migraines. They are not effective for treating migraines once the migraine has begun.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library