This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is obtaining a history from a client recently diagnosed with open-angle glaucoma. When the ... (Read 32 times)

Jramos095

The nurse is obtaining a history from a client recently diagnosed with open-angle glaucoma. When the nurse asks about symptoms, the client is most likely to respond:

1. I began to notice colored halos around lights.
  2. I noticed that my vision seemed wavy and blurred.
  3. I had severe eye and facial pain, and I became nauseated.
  4. I had no symptoms of pain or pressure in my eyes.

Question 2

Which nursing diagnosis should receive highest priority when caring for a client being treated for glaucoma?

1. Noncompliance related to adverse effects of medications
  2. Self-Care Deficit: Feeding related to decreased peripheral vision
  3. Health Maintenance, Ineffective related to lack of knowledge of disease and pharmacological management
  4. Injury, Risk for related to blurred vision secondary to medications

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sarajane1989

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: This is not a symptom of open-angle glaucoma.
Rationale 2: Blurred vision is not a symptom of open-angle glaucoma.
Rationale 3: Severe eye and facial pain associated with nausea and vomiting is not a symptom of open-angle glaucoma.
Rationale 4: There are usually no symptoms associated with open-angle glaucoma because it occurs gradually.
Global Rationale: There are usually no symptoms associated with open-angle glaucoma because it occurs gradually. The remaining findings are associated with closed-angle glaucoma.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Noncompliance might become a concern if the client experiences more adverse side effects than the symptoms from glaucoma. This would require further education, but that might not be necessary immediately.
Rationale 2: The loss of peripheral vision should not affect the client's ability to feed self. Clients can be taught to move their heads to keep items on a plate in view.
Rationale 3: It will be important for the client with glaucoma to understand the disease and the need for long-term drug therapy if surgical treatments are not being considered. However, this would not be the highest priority for the client.
Rationale 4: Many of the medications used for glaucoma cause blurred vision. This would increase the risk of injury if the client fell or tried to carry out activities without adequate vision. This is a priority and would need to be addressed first.
Global Rationale: Many of the medications used for glaucoma cause blurred vision. This would increase the risk of injury if the client fell or tried to carry out activities without adequate vision. This is a priority and would need to be addressed first. It will be important for the client with glaucoma to understand the disease and the need for long-term drug therapy if surgical treatments are not being considered. However, this would not be the highest priority for the client. Noncompliance might become a concern if the client experiences more adverse side effects than the symptoms from glaucoma. This would require further education, but that might not be necessary immediately. The loss of peripheral vision should not affect the client's ability to feed self. Clients can be taught to move their heads to keep items on a plate in view.

Jramos095

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

hramirez205

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library