Author Question: A client has requested a pregnancy termination using mifepristone (RU-486) and misoprostol ... (Read 28 times)

charchew

A client has requested a pregnancy termination using mifepristone (RU-486) and misoprostol (Cytotec). Which statement by the client indicates the need for further instruction about these medications?

1. I will avoid drinking grapefruit juice while I am taking this medication.
  2. I know that I will probably experience nausea with this medication.
  3. I'll take these medications with me while I am away on vacation.
  4. I will call the clinic if I have excessive bleeding.

Question 2

The nurse teaches a client about contraceptive choices. Which client statement about contraception requires clarification?

1. If I use the Mirena IUD, I might be able to get pregnant soon after I have it removed.
  2. Birth control pills are very effective, but I must remember to take them every day.
  3. I don't want to use birth control pills because it increases my chances of getting cancer.
  4. If I use the contraceptive sponge, I can't take it out for at least 6 hours after I engage in sexual intercourse.

Perkypinki

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Clients should avoid grapefruit juice because it decreases the serum levels of mifepristone.
Rationale 2: Most clients experience nausea, dizziness, headache, vomiting, fatigue, abdominal pain, and cramping when taking these medications.
Rationale 3: The client must receive further instruction that taking this medication requires three office visits; therefore, the client will not be able to go on vacation while taking the medications.
Rationale 4: Clients using mifepristone for early pregnancy termination must call the health care provider if excessive bleeding occurs.
Global Rationale: The client must receive further instruction that taking this medication requires three office visits; therefore, the client will not be able to go on vacation while taking the medications. Clients should avoid grapefruit juice because it decreases the serum levels of mifepristone. Most clients experience nausea, dizziness, headache, vomiting, fatigue, abdominal pain, and cramping when taking these medications. Clients using mifepristone for early pregnancy termination must call the health care provider if excessive bleeding occurs.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Fertility returns quickly after the removal of the Mirena IUD.
Rationale 2: Birth control pills are almost 100 effective if taken correctly.
Rationale 3: Oral contraceptives containing estrogen can increase the risk for breast cancer, but long-term use has significantly reduced the incidence of endometrial and ovarian cancer.
Rationale 4: The contraceptive sponge must be left in place for at least 6 hours after sexual intercourse.
Global Rationale: Oral contraceptives containing estrogen can increase the risk for breast cancer, but long-term use has significantly reduced the incidence of endometrial and ovarian cancer. Fertility returns quickly after the removal of the Mirena IUD. Birth control pills are almost 100 effective if taken correctly. The contraceptive sponge must be left in place for at least 6 hours after sexual intercourse.