Author Question: The nurse recognizes that teaching about secondary prevention has been effective when the client ... (Read 32 times)

strangeaffliction

The nurse recognizes that teaching about secondary prevention has been effective when the client states:

1. If I stop smoking, I can decrease my risk of lung cancer.
  2. I need to have a Pap smear annually to detect any signs of cervical cancer.
  3. If I get a cancerous lesion removed early, I can prevent more areas of skin cancer.
  4. If I wear sunscreen, I can prevent skin cancer.

Question 2

The acronym that the American Cancer Society recommends to help people remember what to look for when assessing themselves for cancer is:

1. CAUTION.
  2. CANCER.
  3. CHANGES.
  4. PREVENTION.

Benayers

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: This is an example of primary prevention.
Rationale 2: This is an example of secondary prevention.
Rationale 3: This is an example of tertiary prevention.
Rationale 4: This is an example of primary prevention.
Global Rationale: Primary prevention includes interventions that keep cancer from developing, such as interventions that promote a healthy lifestyle, receiving vaccinations, and eliminating tobacco use. Secondary prevention includes interventions leading to the discovery and control of cancerous or precancerous lesions. Examples are Pap smears and mammograms. Tertiary prevention attempts to reduce damage that has already started. Examples are surgical interventions to remove a tumor. Palliation is interventions focused on quality of life when cure is no longer feasible.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: This is the acronym the American Cancer Society recommends.
Rationale 2: This is not the acronym the American Cancer Society recommends.
Rationale 3: This is not the acronym the American Cancer Society recommends.
Rationale 4: This is not the acronym the American Cancer Society recommends.
Global Rationale: The American Cancer Society recommends using the acronym CAUTION to help people remember what to look for when self-assessing for cancer. The other options are not acronyms for this purpose.